Unilever recently recalled more than a dozen aerosol dry shampoos due to the high content of benzene in it. The list of brands recalled included the likes of Nexxus, Suave, Tresemmé, and Rockaholic, an official notice posted on the Food and Drug Administration’s website read. According to media reports, the recall pertains to products made before October 2021.
The recall notice says: “Based on an independent health hazard evaluation, daily exposure to benzene in the recalled products at the levels detected in testing would not be expected to adverse health consequences.” The FDA noted that: “Unilever US is recalling these products out of an abundance of caution,” noting that company “has received no reports of adverse events to date relating to this recall.”
The recall is the second this year for Unilever involving a product possibly containing benzene. In March this year, Unilever recalled two Suave 24-hour protection aerosol antiperspirants in the US after an internal review found slightly elevated levels of benzene in some samples.
What is dry shampoo?
According to Healthline.com, dry shampoo is a waterless way to freshen and fluff your hair between showers. As per experts, dry shampoo is not a shampoo or cleanser at all. The sprayed- or sprinkled-on starch and alcohol product absorbs the oil in your hair, making it fluffy and less noticeable. It doesn’t remove oil and dirt the way a wet shampoo and head wash will do.
What is benzene?
Benzene is a commonly used hydrocarbon, gasoline present in most things around us like and cigarette smoke, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. One can find benzene in plastics, resins, nylon, synthetic fibers, lubricants, rubbers, dyes, detergents, drugs, and pesticides. People are typically exposed by breathing the chemical in the air, but they can also take it into their bodies by touching petroleum products, or by eating or drinking contaminated food or beverages.
To the FDA, benzene contains chemicals that can be a carcinogen, which on prolonged exposure can lead to can result in cancers including leukemia and blood cancer of the bone marrow and blood disorders, which can be life-threatening.
FDA has said that based on an independent health hazard evaluation, daily exposure to benzene in the form of dry shampoos or other products can cause adverse health consequences.
The affected products
Here is the complete list of the Unilever-affected products produced prior to October 2021:
- Dove Dry Shampoo Volume and Dullness
- Dove Dry Shampoo Fresh Coconut
- Dove Dry Shampoo Fresh and Floral
- Dove Dry Shampoo Ultra Clean
- Dove Dry Shampoo Invisible
- Dove Dry Shampoo Detox and Purify
- Dove Dry Shampoo Clarifying Charcoal
- Dove Dry Shampoo Go Active
- TRESemmé Dry Shampoo Volumizing
- TRESemme Dry Shampoo Fresh and Clean
- TRESemmé Pro Pure Dry Shampoo
- Bed Head Oh Bee Hive Dry Shampoo
- Bed Head Oh Bee Hive Volumizing Dry Shampoo
- Bed Head Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo
- Nexxus Dry Shampoo Refreshing Mist
- Nexus Inergy Foam Shampoo
- Suave Dry Shampoo Hair Refresher
- Suave Professionals Dry Shampoo Refresh and Revive
- Bed Head Rockaholic Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo