Honestly, I’d never thought to make popcorn crispy treats, until I saw this super cute spider web creation for Halloween. But they are just as tasty and versatile as the old-school rice crispy version. You can top with sprinkles, drizzle melted dairy-free chocolate on top, or just enjoy them as is.
Easy Popcorn Crispy Treats with Options for Every Occasion
We have a few quick notes in FAQ format for these sweet popcorn crispy treats.
How Many Mini Marshmallows are in a Bag?
One 10-ounce bag of marshmallows contains about 5 1/2 cups. You can use the whole bag in these popcorn crispy treats – it will just make them a touch more gooey. We don’t think that’s a bad thing.
What are Vegan Marshmallows?
Marshmallows contain gelatin. I you shun gelatin, Dandies Vegan Marshmallows are the most popular brand. But please note that vegan brands of marshmallows often contain soy protein.
Can I Use Microwave Popcorn?
That is totally up to you. I’ll be honest, I really don’t like microwave popcorn. Air popped tastes so fresh and crispy. But if you’re a microwave popper, have at it!
Can I Use Salted Popcorn?
The recipe is for plain, air-popped popcorn with nothing added. But if you’ve drizzled on a little butter or coconut oil, or sprinkled with a little salt, I don’t think it will hurt!
What is Dairy-Free Chocolate?
Chocolate is naturally dairy free, but many brands add milk-based ingredients to chocolate. This is especially true with mainstream brands. For recipes, I often lean on Enjoy Life Chocolate Chipsbut you can see our Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips Guide for more options.
Special Diet Notes: Popcorn Crispy Treats
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free peanut-free, soy-free optionally vegan and vegetarian.
Dairy-Free Popcorn Crispy Treats (with Halloween Option)
Author: The Popcorn Board
Recipe type: Dessert
- ¼ cup dairy-free butter alternative or 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 5 cups mini marshmallows (use vegan, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 cups plain popped popcorn
- Line a round pizza pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter alternative or oil in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir constantly for 3 to 4 minutes, or until completely melted. Stir in the vanilla.
- Remove the pan from the heat and quickly stir in the popcorn until evenly coated.
- Spread the sticky popcorn onto your prepared pizza pan about 1 inch thick, using a piece of plastic wrap or parchment to prevent sticking. If making the spider web option below, make it an irregular round shape.
- Let it set up, or refrigerate for 15 minutes to speed up the process.
Halloween Spider Web Option: Place 3 cups mini marshmallows in a microwave safe dish and heat in the microwave for about 20 seconds, or until melted. Using a spatula, string strands of melted marshmallow over the popcorn treat to create cobweb effect. Melt ¾ cup dairy-free chocolate chips and pour over 1 cup popped popcorn in a bowl. Fold gently to coat. Spread chocolate popcorn onto parchment paper and separate into 8 small clusters. Affix 2 candy eyes to each cluster. Refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes, or until set. Melt another ¼ cup dairy-free chocolate chips and put 8 dabs of melted chocolate on different spots on the popcorn treat. Place a chocolate cluster on each dab, and affix 1-inch pieces of black string licorice for “spider legs.” Refrigerate for 15 minutes, or until set.
More Sweet Ways to Enjoy Popcorn
Caramel Popcorn Clusters
Crisp Apple Cinnamon Popcorn
Popcorn Christmas Trees